Friday, May 27, 2011

Wilmington Grand Prix Crit

For the record, I haaaate writing race reports... They're all similar, boring to write and read, and probably not even that accurate when told from my point of view.

Saturday's race found us in downtown Wilmington, Delaware to race an NRC crit. After an aggressive start, we reached the half way point with the bunch still all together, but it would only be that way for a few more laps until our resident babysitter/team captain Dan Holt made a really good attack to open up a gap immediately. He was all alone out there but motored on solo for at least 5 maybe 10 laps until the gap started to come down rapidly, and hoping to make good use of his effort, I set up for the counter in the front of the group. Just as he was within 30 meters of the bunch, I wasted no time in launching my own bid for glory and I too quickly got a gap. Unfortunately not one rider followed me either, but we only had 12 laps to go at this point so I thought it was worth a shot. For the next 8 laps I floundered around off the front by myself, struggling to find a comfortable gear I could spin. My leg speed was no where to be found so I was absolutely mashing too big a gear the entire time. Alas, I got caught with about 4 laps to go.

Thankfully, as he always does, Ty Magner came through in the sprint to place 5th, winning me yet more money and making the race not a total loss.

I suppose having a TT1 rider off the front for the last half of the race was good publicity if nothing else, and I got a lot of "good job!"s and "I thought you had it, man!"s after the race, but ti me it felt like a lot of pain for little gain.

RR write up to come, after I get back from my morning ride...

2 comments:

LR said...

Although it may seem boring to you (since you lived it), it brings the race alive to your followers. Thanks for getting back to telling your story.

MA

johannen2009 said...

YOU ARE DOING A GOOD JOB AT REPORTING THE RACE.WE DO ENJOY YOUR BLOG BECAUSE IT IS THE ONLY WAY WE CAN HAVE NEWS FROM THE CANADIAN MICHAEL DALTERIO.THE WEB PAGE OF TEAM TYPE TYPE 1 DO NOT GIVE MUCH NEWS ABOUT THE DEVO TEAM.CONTINUE YOUR GOOD WORK WITH YOUR BIKE AND WITH YOUR PEN .WISHING YOU ALL THE GOOD LUCK IN THE WORLD