Friday, July 10, 2009

Tour of the Valley; Day One

I had a rather disappointing time trial this morning: Oscar got 5th, Jafer got 7th, and I got 8th, and the others were not too far behind. It wasn't all that bad, but for the competition, we knew we could do better. I don't know what's up with me and TT's, I think I just don't get along with my bike.

The crit went waaay better, we killed it, in fact. After following and making attacks for much of the race, everything happened in the last 6 or 7 laps when I followed Panther's Paul Martin off the front, just the 2 of us. While I spent a few laps working with him trying to figure out how I was gonna beat such a big dude, Oscar made the absolute smartest move of the race. I looked across this traffic island to the road on the other side where the course sorta doubled back on itself and saw Oscar off the front with just one other guy, and not a Panther guy either. I was set from this point on, I only soft peddled when I took pulls and then sat on the guy i was with for the whole last lap and a half. If Oscar caught us that'd have been to my and his advantage, and if not, no big deal cause the only way we were gonna stay away was if Paul Martin pulled more than me. We ended up not getting caught, and I had gas left at the end so I won the sprint between the two of us. Oscar beat his companion for 3rd, and after a lead out from Jafer and Mikey, Thomas and Anthony went 1, 2 in the field sprint. We basically won on all possible fronts and it was a good feeling.

No comments: