Thursday, July 16, 2009

TOV; Stage 3

The fourth and final stage of the weekend was a crit held in Youngstown, OH, and as we pulled in to town, much of what Jim Behrins had described about the town unfolded before our eyes. It had definitely seen better days; I guess it was a booming area when the steel industry was thriving, but from the looks of it, most of the factories, warehouses, and other random buildings had since been abandoned. Granted it was a Sunday, but the city streets still seemed eerily empty to me.

With the box of powerbar gels having seemingly disappeared from the van (???), before the race got underway I managed to swipe a couple free Mountain Dews from the hospitality tent to fill my bottles with sugar. The fuel situation taken care of, the only thing left to do before the race got under way was go drop the kids off at the pool…. something I would NEVER DARE start a race without doing. I’m talkin, this is more important than any warm up or whatever other pre-race customs you can think of. So, to take care of business I followed the trail of riders into this supa fancy shmancy wine bar (I think it was called Rosetta Stone), the owner of which I’m sure was cursing himself for even getting out of bed that morning, much less being open and inviting to the cyclists. “The bathroom is all the way in the back? Oh, ok thanks. Back on the other side of that pristine, polished, hardwood dance floor you got back there? Alright, don’t mind if I do…” Yeah, no joke, I’m estimating that at least half the cyclists at this race used that bathroom, tromping straight across that wooden dance floor in their click-clackin cleats. Momma woulda been horrified at the site, and because her scolding me for walking across a wood floor in metal cleats was all I could think of, I couldn’t bring myself to look down to inspect the damage, as I tried to ever-so-gently make my way across the dance floor.

When it was my turn in the john, just as every other cyclist who had sat on that same throne that afternoon had done, I blew it up in there, flushed and made as quick a get away as possible. That brings up an entirely different problem that the Rosetta Stone management was also going to need to address…

As for the race itself, it didn’t quite unfold in picture perfect fashion, but it worked out nonetheless. With Jafer sporting the yellow jersey and a sizeable lead on all but one other competitor, all that ideally needed to be done was to lead Jafer out for the sprint, so he could win or at least place high enough to maintain his lead. Maybe a quarter of the way into the race, I looked up and found myself staring at Paul Martin’s butt (which is about at face level because the dude is so big) seconds before he launched an attack. Well that’s a no brainer, I’m already on his wheel and no one is getting away without us, so I follow him. We get a gap, I refuse to pull through as is necessary when trying to defend a jersey back in the field, but before I know it, Oscar has covered another attack and bridged up with 2 other Panther guys and another GC contender. I say hi to the O and all that’s left to do at that point is sit on for the ride, so that’s what we did; neither of us taking a single pull. I knew we were with a strong little bunch, but our gap hovered at only around 15 to 20 sec for at least half an hour, so I was sure we were gonna eventually get brought back. Well all of a sudden, in the last 10 laps our gap grew immensely. We weren’t getting caught at that point, and a Panther guy attacked with 2 laps to go. Oscar wasted no time in hitting the front of our little group for the first time all day to make sure this got brought back, and he did it with perfection. Oscar smashed the lone attacker’s dreams for victory just 2 or 3 turns from the finish, and peeled off to hang on for 4th. I then went into the last corner 3rd wheel, and sprinted to victory up the left side after nearly getting pinched into the barriers as 2nd-place took desperate measures to try to keep from getting passed.

After Martin’s complaint (he got pinched out and forced to take 3rd) about 2nd place taking us into the barriers, that guy got relegated to 3rd, giving Martin 2nd instead. It was a hard call for the officials, but I didn’t see much wrong with what had happened. Of course my opinion might have been different had I not won, but still, to me it seems like that sort of thing is just a part of bike racing. People get pinched, squeezed, pushed, and bumped in and out of position every day in races. Anywhoo, with the win and Martin in 3rd, I thought I had the weekend all sewn up with enough points to take the overall win, but with the officials’ decision to move Paul Martin into 2nd on the stage, gave him enough points to be tied with me in the overall GC. There were a few nervous minutes when I thought they would decide the tie by whoever did better in the time trial (which was him) but luckily it came down to which one of us had won more stages (which was me), with the TT as the tie breaker only if number of stage wins was a tie as well.

So, to wrap up this essay, I won the overall title, Jafer took third overall, and Oscar got fifth. A good weekend and decent paycheck for the boys.

2 comments:

Jordan said...

you and your writing...so silly :) but great job!

Jeff said...

Awesome "behind the scenes" type reporting on that pre-race prep Joey. I'm glad you "blew it up" in Rosetta Stone instead of in the final sprint!