Thursday, July 5, 2012

Qinghai Lake: Stage 7.... A WIN!

Victory!!! The team got its first win here at Qinghai courtesy if Aldo.  It was quite a relief to just race a 100km circuit race today in the city of Qilian, no KOMs, no transfers (the two things I hate most about bike racing). The 10km loop had a lot of turns, so it rode like a crit, and a sweet downhill sprint that suited Aldo's massive frame just fine.

I got in a break about 15km in with a handful of other guys and rode it until we got caught just before the last lap. I can't say that I was all that productive in the break as I didn't manage to get either of the intermediate sprints (I seriously have one speed here), but my teammates were appreciative that we had representation at least. As the bunch swallowed up me and the other escapees, I had just enough time to admire how well my teammates were riding as a unit near the front. As I cruised across the finish line at the back of the group I was excited to see Swanny Ronny grinning ear to ear, hands in the air, jumping up and down. "Hey Ronny, don't shake up my coke!"

Rest day tomorrow, and thankfully we're at this same hotel for another two nights. Not moving around makes life so much easier. I was finally able to wash out my pair of jeans today (because they have 2 days to dry) and was glad no one was around to see the amount of brown water that came out of them. In my mind jeans never actually get dirty, and washing them today was more of a superfluous luxury, so that was pretty astonishing. The only complaint I have about this hotel and many Chinese hotel bathrooms is that nothing divides the shower from the bathroom. No tub, wall, 2in high divider on the floor, nothing. There's a drain In the floor under the shower, which may make it a halfway decent design if the floor was actually built accordingly. Instead the floor doesn't drain so you have to wear shoes into the bathroom every time you need to pee or use the sink. Aaaand the floor and baseboards have no doubt been wet for who knows how long, cultivating an especially fragrant blend of mold/bacteria.

Had a nice little America Day celebration out in the parking lot last night with the other two American teams here (Jelly Belly and UHC). Jack found Chinese branded PBR*, and the other directors came through with some loud Chinese fireworks. Made for a great break in the monotony of laying in bed, staring at channel 5, as we do every night.

*Technically none of the riders partook in PBR drinking. We just watched.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Joey,
I feel so lucky to have googled your blog while searching for Qinghai Lake information. Haven't read something this good since John Leiswyn retired. I freqently write Kiel, and just like you I believe he is one remarkable athlete...you're awfully good also!
Earlier you mentioned watching Snooker...I know what you mean, while living in England in the 80's I grew addicted to the game as it was on TV all the time...actually can get halfway exciting at times...almost like darts! Best of luck the rest of the tour...let's get Kiel closer to that GC win the team deserves.

John Renz
Crown Point, IN

Unknown said...

Meant to say - John Lieswyn