Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Richton Park Crit (Monday)

Arriving in Richton park we looked at results from the previous day and found out that Thomas had placed 16th and I 19th. We also picked up our payout from the first 2 stages and have a combined total of $230 so far...hopefully we can keep adding to the pot!

I don't know if maybe none of us were just having the best day on the bike, or if the pace was really just that much faster.....but Monday's race was hard. There were a lot of fast guys there including a few riders from teams like Kelly Benefits, Rock Racing, Team Type 1, Texas Roadhouse (who won the stage), and Bissell. We did the full 100 km distance, and it seemed to crawl by as floated back and forth in through the field, not really wanting to expend too much energy before the finish. Pretty early on, a break of 8 got up the road and ended up lapping the field just before the finish despite the efforts of many riders who tried to up the pace with about 30 laps to go. When we finally did reach 10 to go I started moving up and jumping on some last minute attacks made by other riders, but I guess having already made the mistake of letting one break slip away today, no one in the bunch wanted to let it happen again. With about 3 to go, Thomas and I were just trying to hang tough towards the front, but I was really hurting at this point; we couldn't make it up far enough to be in contention for the sprint. As Thomas whizzed by me at the finish, I had no acceleration left and we both settled for around a top 30 or 40. Fast race.

No comments: