Sunday, June 8, 2008

Racin in New Joysey

Today was sooooooooooooo hot. I haven't stopped sweating since I woke up, it was really almost 100 degrees here (and in New Jersey). Our upstairs AC unit is working overtime but we're all still sitting here shirtless with beads of sweat continuing to stream from our brow.



After a big pancake breakfast courtesy of Thomas, we headed out around 10:30 am to Highbridge, New Jersey to race. This was the hottest race I think we've all done in a long time, and the heat definitely took a toll on us....as did the incredibly steep uphill and the torn up roads in the 3 mile loop. Sections of the skinny back roads were almost comparable to cobbles. The field was pretty talented as well. A few former U23 National team riders showed up to race as well as a couple other strong teams. A huge group of about 17 riders eventually formed off the front as people started slipping up the road in small groups, and at the end of the day only Jafer and I finished. Out of 70 starters, only around 25 made it to the finish line at the end of our 11 lap race. Believe me, that was the longest 33 miles I've ever ridden, and if it weren't for a much needed water feed from Oscar towards the end of the race, I don't know what would have happened. Jafer and I finished in the only group remaining behind the group of 17. Stumbling to the car as soon as we finished, I think we both were severely dehydrated and overheated. That, however, was nothing a good dip in the river couldn't fix.



After laying in the river, stopping at a gas station/burgerking, and finishing the hour drive back to the place we now call home, we enjoyed some juicy burgers on the grill and then rushed upstairs to "chill" in the only room with AC.

No comments: