Sunday, May 24, 2009

Blue Racing Balls

Thomas and I departed for Boulder around 11 am this morning with a huge pancake breakfast still digesting in our stomachs. We stopped at the grocery store down the hill for water, cash, and coffee, and then we were on our way, race ready. We were headed to just outside Boulder to do this "Koppenberg" Circuit Race that looked like a pretty cool little five mile circuit; half was dirt road, and it included this steep little climb every lap named after the famed Koppenberg. Thomas followed his directions to a tee, but when we got to the Target/Costco shopping center where we were supposed to park there was not a cyclist in sight....just a bunch or overweight, shopping-kart-toting folks, totally oblivious to my pre-race, nervous, bubble-stomach that was starting to set in like it does when you have barely an hour until race time and you still don't know where the heck you are. We were sure we were in the right spot, right on the edge of the course, but this couldn't be right, where was everyone? It was a really weird feeling because there were signs for the bike race, but we saw no one. We proceeded to drive a lap of the course, hoping crest one of the hills and say "Ah, there it is!" as registration and a cyclist-crawling parking lot came into view......uuhhhhh, yeah, that never happened. As I made a couple phone calls to Dan and Oscar to try to get someone to look on the event website, Thomas somehow negotiated the little, low-riding Jetta up the actual "Koppenberg" part of the road which was incredibly washed out and had these huge trenches running the length of the hill.

Oscar gave us the word: the race was cancelled........ Why exactly it was cancelled, I don't know, I guess it was the rain cloud looming nearby. Why we didn't know this, I don't know either; I guess it was a last minute cancellation because Thomas and I were both on the website yesterday afternoon/night and there was no mention of it. Oooooh well. So that was that, all our predictions and worries of which of the fast guys from last weekend would be back to torture us up that hill every lap were for nothing. As was the huge pancake breakfast and numerous cups of coffee that I had consumed, hoping I would have good legs for the race. It was really disappointing.

We suited up in the parking lot and took off for a ride anyway, but after expecting to race, motivation was low and we soon turned around realizing that if we got back in time to give Lilly back her car so she could drive herself to work (the night shift) one of us wouldn't have to wake up at 6:30 am to go pick her up tomorrow morning. All we did was a little over an hour ride, with a couple sprints for fun, before we packed it up and started the two hour drive back to Edwards. It had started to rain on us, but it was more of a drizzle, and since when does a race get cancelled due to rain???

I really don't even know what to think about this day, it was a pretty big waste of time. I think I'm going to bump all my training for this next week up one day so I can start doing real rides tomorrow. I've had enough of this recovery stuff (this whole past week), it makes me feel so unproductive.

No comments: