Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Sweet road, sour weather

What a looooooooong coooooooold ride that was. Yesterday I headed out for a 5.5 hour trek through the Rockies. Thomas is on a rest week this week so I was by myself, just me and my Zune. I had mapped out a route already, and the main attraction of the ride was this 20 mile dirt road stretch that a local rider had recommended. Sounds sweet huh? It was; every bit as awesome as I had hoped for. Turning off a highway, Colorado River Road was the longest dirt road I had ever been on. It was hard-packed and, with the exception of a few ups and downs in and out of the canyon, it paralleled the Colorado River and a set of train tracks for 35 miles, 20 of which was dirt. On the dirt section I probably passed only half a dozen houses/trailers total.....I was really in the middle of nowhere so I occupied myself by singing along to Lucero at the top of my lungs without worry of other people hearing. And luckily, I had my headphones turned up loud enough so I didn't actually have to listen to myself either; I could just pretend that my voice sounded identical to that of Ben Nichols.

That was all fine and dandy but after about 1.5 hours it started raining. And the drizzle didn't stop. The dirt road remained hard, but at one point I looked down and could hardly distinguish between where my knee warmers, shins, socks, and shoes started because they were all the same color: mud color. I had even anticipated the rain and dressed warmly: knee warmers, long sleeve jersey, and long finger gloves, but I guess I didn't really know how to anticipate 4 straight hours in the rain, I don't know if I've ever done that before. I'm pretty sure the temp was still in the 50's but by hour 4 my hands and feet were thoroughly numb and I was soaked to the bone. I'm fine riding with numb feet...don't really need them for anything... but the hands became problematic. My right hand was better off (I think from constantly moving it to shift) but my left was absolutely useless. I had to use my right had to shift on the left side a couple times, and then with about an hour to go I pretty much stopped shifting all together. With the exception of the occasional shift on the right side when I could muster up the coordination for my icy fingers to push in the right spot, I pretty much mashed way too big of a gear all the way home. Trying to get all my clothes off with no coordinated movements in my hands may have been the hardest part.

1 comment:

Jordan said...

you and your Lucero :)